Pages

Thursday 14 June 2018

Static Image

In English we read the book 'Abomination' by Robert Swindells. After finishing the book, our task was to make a static image (still image) along with commentary, based on a quote from the book. Here is my static image:
Commentary:
My static image portrays the idea that Martha feels trapped by her parents, and held back by the secret she's been forced to keep fro years.

I have shown this by using both visual and verbal elements. The visual elements I have used include an image of an old, broken wooden door, which fits with how both Martha and Scott describe Martha's home in the book; dark paintwork, drab wallpaper, the type of place where women get bludgeoned to death with brass candlesticks in those old black and white movies, etc. An image of Martha looking through the door is shown too, which represents how she is metaphorically and physically trapped. It also represents the idea that she's keeping a secret she no longer wants to keep to herself anymore.

I chose to make her door wooden because the colour brown is a reasonably dull colour, which not only fits with the description of the rest of her house, but also represents how boring and uneventful Martha's life is/was. The bright yellow (or golden) door knob shows that Martha's life is starting to get better. For example, she became friends with Scott and she starts disobeying her parents by doing things that they forbid her to do.

The quotation I chose is "I'm sure she has put a spell on me with those sad grey eyes". These words are relevant because one of the visual elements in my static image is Martha looking through the hole in her door with fear and a bit of sadness.


1 comment:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.