Pages

Friday 15 February 2019

Critical Literacy Reflection

What do you think critical literacy is?
Critical literacy is about interpreting the real meaning and messages behind things such as the media, stories, videos, news articles and pretty much anything else you can think of. In a nutshell, it's about having your own opinion based on your own experiences and morals.

What did you learn during critical literacy?
I learnt the difference between factual and satirical, or more so the definition of satirical, and certain ways you can tell if something is real or not. E.g, you can tell if a news article is fake based on the title, when it was uploaded, and who uploaded it. Before this module, I had no idea who 'The Onion' was so now I know something is fake if they published it.

What did you find challenging during Critical Literacy?
It wasn't always easy to interpret the messages behind some of the texts and videos that we looked at so that was kind of challenging at times. Or sometimes what the text was actually about was nowhere near what I thought it would be.

How will you use Critical Literacy skills in real life?
Because of what we've been doing over the past two or so weeks, I can now use what I've learnt to figure out the unspoken truth of what people are really trying to say, mostly in media, but also just in general like when I'm reading, watching a movie or anything like that.

What are you looking forward to in English this year?
I'm not entirely sure. If I'm being honest, English has never been my favourite subject, but so far this year I've found what we're doing in English to be quite interesting. I use to enjoy creative writing a lot, but I seem to be prone to getting writers block so perhaps not...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.