Pages

Friday 15 March 2019

Michael Mew Inspired Art

In art for the past few weeks, we have been working on completing Michael Mew inspired mixed-media art, using things such as leading lines and focal points.


After choosing and cutting out potential focal points from magazines for our piece, we drew some thumbnail sketches, using different pieces, different colours, and rearranging things on our page as we went. The media I used to create this piece was mostly water paint (a lighter shade of blue, a darker shade of blue, brown, and black) and the pieces I chose from magazines, but I also used pencil to sketch the bird. The focal point in my piece is the hands, and the bits of collage surrounding, and to the top left of the hands, create leading lines.

In our piece we also had to include one of five birds native to New Zealand (The Mōhua, the Riroriro, the Tīeke, the Korimako/Kōparapara or the Pīpīwharauroa). I chose the riroriro, also known as a grey warbler. The riroriro is part of the Acanthizidae family, a family of passerine birds, and are usually seen living in temperate forests.


Here is some artwork by Michael Mew





4 comments:

  1. Kia ora Natasha
    I have to admit I'm pretty jealous of how your work turned out. I loved the 'blue' theme you had going on there, my personal favourite aspect of it, however, was the stripes in the bottom right corner.

    Next time, I think you could work on colouring in the bird because it looked a bit unfinished, but other than that, the work was fantastic.
    I can tell that the hand is the focal point - at least I hope it was intended - and you have used leading lines really really well.

    Looking forward to seeing more of your work.
    -Jaime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jaime!

      Thanks, but I was pretty impressed with how yours came together too, and Molly's, they were both amazing. I also agree with what you said about the bird, maybe not colouring it but definitely darkening it so it fits in with the background more.

      I look forward to seeing what you accomplish next too :)

      Delete
  2. Kia ora Natasha, I love that I can see your supportive friend commenting on your work too BTW.

    You have done well. This has a lot of leading lines creating a really tight sense of unity in the image. It is a strong composition and a good example of 'less is more'. Sometimes we overcomplicate things to make them better. You don't need to.

    I particularly like the angled line on the right side, as well as that blue in the background. It is a good choice. the only thing that you could do would be to darken (but not colour) the tones and shading on the bird so it can compete a little better with the depth of tones in the magazine images.

    I love how hard you work in class and can see a lot of strengths in your practice in general.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Mrs Clemence! I really enjoyed creating this piece and looking at mixed-media. I'm really enjoying art as a subject in general :)

    I think you're right; I would definitely darken the shading and part of the outline of the riroriro bird if I were to do it again, possibly add a bit more detail too.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.