Pages

Friday 8 March 2019

UNWIND Destinations

D E S T I N A T I O N S

This section opens up with Lev in a pawnbroker's. What does this tell you about how his character is changing? Lev came from a fairly wealthy family, this shows you that his financial situation is changing quite noticeably, as he went from theoretically being able to buy something whenever he wanted, to being so desperate for money he has to sell stolen goods just to afford food. This also shows he's becoming a lot smarter when it comes to survival tactics and how to make money and use bribery to his advantage. He's basically learnt how to bribe and trick adults into doing what he wants them to.

While being transported to possible safety, some of the kids on the run wonder, "Would it be better to die or be unwound?" If given the choice, which would you choose? Why? This response requires more than one or two sentences! Put forward at least three reasons why you think what you do.
I have absolutely no idea. If I were unwound, would I be extremely sad my parents signed a form allowing my death? Yea. Would I hate them? Probably. But at least I'd know that someone who is in need is getting my organs. Death, on the other hand- even if you are a donor, they don't donate every single cell to someone else, however that is because in this current time no one has figured out how, and nothing is technologically advanced enough to perform such a procedure. If I were given the option between dying peacefully, or being unwound for no logical reason, when I could live a long happy life, then of course I'd choose death. The thought of someone deciding whether another innocent human being get's the right to live or die is TERRIBLE!

I mean. I'd rather neither. Living would be more ideal...


Another question the kids in the book discuss is, "If every part of you is still alive but inside someone else, are you alive or are you dead?" They also wonder if consciousness can exist even if it's spread out, and if the soul remains intact. What do you think? Read Thomas Hobbes' Ship of Theseus puzzle to help you make a decision. Be sure to reference it in your answer! http://metaphysicist.com/puzzles/ship_theseus/
If every part of you is alive, but inside someone else, then you're technically still alive. Evidence from later on in the book strongly suggests that you can also still think and feel and control your body, or more, the person which certain parts of your body are in's body. But, you don't know you're 'living in a divided state', it's like you're dreaming. So are you really alive if you're not living you're life, but more so co-piloting in someone else's? I don't think you are.

The question to ask, is if something is slowly but completely taken apart and then rebuilt somewhere else, while other replacement pieces are substituted on the original, which one is the original?
If you were born whole (which... You are... Usually), and lived your life in your own body, then that should be the original. When people are unwound in this dystopian world, and their organs and other cells are put inside other people, it's no longer their life that they're living, it's someone else's. Therefore, I think that if every part of you is still technically alive but inside someone else, you aren't truly alive. You're dead.

This section of the novel sees Lev and Cy-Fi finally make it to Joplin. As they get closer, Cy-Fi's behaviour becomes increasingly erratic. What are some of the things he does, or things he likes, that are not his own behaviours or memories? The most prominent behaviour is the need to steal. More specifically, steal shiny expensive things. Cyrus's accent also changes, although at this point I'm not entirely sure which accent is Cyrus and which accent is Tyler (ITS TYLER NOT TAYLOR MY BAD). He starts to talk less, he no longer leads the way, and his face and hands, and sometimes the rest of his body too, start to uncontrollably twitch.

What was Cy-Ty hiding in his backyard? Pg 185-194
Lots and lots of very expensive jewellery, which explains the urge he had to steal shiny things as he and Lev got closer to Joplin. Because that's what Tyler did, he stole things. And that's why he went back to Joplin, because he wanted to fix what he had done



The section ends with Cy-Ty reaching his destination. What do you think of his parents' behaviour? What does Lev's support show you about his character?
I feel like if my dead child, who is my dead child, but at the same time isn't my dead child because it's my dead child's mind in someone else's not so dead child, I'd be a little scared too. Wow that made no sense. I think the shock was warranted, however they should've understood that he was scared too and at the very least tried to comfort him. But they didn't, not until Lev very urgently begged them to tell Cyrus what he needed to hear.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.